For many locals on the outside looking in, Kendall seems like a suburban entity separate from the roots of Dade-County. Across the pond from all that is seen, Kendall lies in the South-West section of South Florida beyond the beaches & downtown living. While Kendall is a relatively young part of the city, the history behind the development goes back to the early years of The 3-0-5.
Florida gained its statehood in 1845. At this time Miami-Dade County ran from the Hillsboro Inlet at the northern edge of present-day Broward County to Indian Key, 5 miles south of Islamorada. By 1850, Dade County hosted a small population of 159 residents. In order to accelerate growth, US Congress passed the “Swamp Land Act of 1850”. This allowed Florida to eventually claim all the land west of Red Road (SW 57th Avenue), between SW 104th Street and NW 7th Street between 1880 and 1903. Thereafter the state of Florida could sell the land to individuals, reserve it for state use, or donate it to developers and entrepreneurs for construction of canals and railways.
“In 1884, the Florida Land and Mortgage Company appointed Henry John Broughton Kendall, as one of four trustees to manage the company properties in Dade County. Due to this many properties were by Henry Kendall and his name began to make the rounds as he would make purchases, inspections, and connections throughout the area. As a result, the region became known as Kendall for years to come. Although Kendall was on the outskirts of the main part of the city, decades of isolation would soon find company as Henry Flaglers railroad began to set its sights on the area as well.
In 1855 Flagler began to build a railroad empire purchasing four and providing service from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach by 1889. By 1894, it had reached down south connecting Floridians to West Palm Beach. While Flagler was content with his success, a lady by the name of Julia Tuttle who had moved to Biscayne in 1891 aspired to build a new city after inheriting money & land from her late husband & father. After two years of rejection, Flagler caved and would eventually make a deal with Tuttle. By April 1896, the “Florida east Coast Railway” reached Biscayne Bay. Flagler who became a huge developer in any part of the state he reached began to get to work. He would immediately help build a channel, streets, instituted the first water and power systems, and financed the town’s first newspaper, the Metropolis. On July 28th, 1896, the 700 citizens sought to honor the man who helped cultivate the community by naming the area “Flagler”. He declined as suggested they used an old Indian name, “Miami”. The community agreed and dubbed Flagler, as well as Tuttle, as the “Mother & Father of Miami”
By 1901 the development of the Florida East Coast Railway extending to Key West was underway. Newly laid tracks passed through Kendall and Homestead. In 1904 a railroad station was built at SW 94th ST further improving the market and ability to travel resulting in small but promising volumes in traffic. After nearly 60 years of lackadaisical statehood, Kendall began to shift from the secluded wilderness to a blossoming and prospering community. A post office opened in 1914, and the first school opened in 1929. As the years kept rolling by, further developments kept driving consumers in of all backgrounds while driving out a the native Seminoles whom continued to live in the area until the 1940’s.
Before long the expansion & population grew at a rapid rate forcing further development into western grasslands. Today, Kendall is a community filled a diverse audience. There are distant scents of the struggle as a generation before us become permanent residents. A suburb with multiple cultures as descendants from the motherlands procreated and gave life to the 1st generation American Millennials. With Backgrounds from all corners of South & Central American There are some fresh scents to be smelled in the air.